Barrie, ON – Branch Office
Barrie’s origins can be traced back to the First Nations People using the western shores of Kempenfelt Bay as a place of rest before travelling the portage that ran between Lake Simcoe and the Nottawasaga River to Lake Huron. The War of 1812 allowed for British troops and supplies to bypass the American forces at Detroit. At the end of the war, troops took residence, and so begin the traces of Barrie’s beginning, and named in honour of British Admiral Sir Robert Barrie. Today Barrie stands at a population of more than 150,000 and continues to be one of Canada’s fastest growing cities.
Nothing is more recognizable in the city than the beloved sculpture, The Spirit Catcher. Situated on Barrie’s waterfront, it was designed by sculptor Ron Baird for the 1986 EXPO in Vancouver. Influenced by the iconography of Indigenous oral traditions in the Pacific Northwest, the work references the Thunderbird. The 20 tonne Corten steel sculpture, spanning its wings around 25 metres in width, standing at 21 metres high, is dedicated to the shores of Kempenfelt Bay to promote and inspire art.
Photo Credit: Duckdave @ Wikipedia